Most mornings are typically the same for me. I’ll wake up, stretch a bit, check my email to learn from other top internet marketers, and then of course to see if I’ve made any online commissions.
Sometimes I see affiliate commissions (which is always nice) and sometimes I don’t. This morning however was quite different. I checked my email and saw that I had made a sale but it wasn’t an affiliate sale.
It was my very first eBook sale.
I shot up out of the kitchen table chair and couldn’t believe it. Someone had actually bought a product that I created. This was a monumental moment in my online business building journey.
Why This Ebook Sale is Special
You’re probably thinking to yourself “Chris, it’s just another commission, who cares how you got it?!”
The reason this means so much to me is because I did 3 things:
- I created the product. Writing the eBook took about 3 months to complete. (I wanted to give up a lot.)
- I created the sales page and wrote the sales copy. (I didn’t think it was good enough.)
- I set up the entire sales funnel so that it could run itself. (I had no idea what I was doing but I did it anyways)
- It’s part of the niche website workshop series! This is great because it’s proof that what I’m teaching is working! And what works for me can certainly work for you!
Yes, making a commission is still awesome, but this way was extra special. Knowing that all of that hard work finally paid off gives you a super awesome feeling.
I literally sat in the chair saying..
What’s even more gratifying is that someone out there is reading that eBook right now and is hopefully getting some real value that can benefit their life. I feel like I’ve made a difference and for that this sale is extra special.
While this is a time of excitement, it’s also a time of fear.
“What if they don’t like it?”
“What if they want a refund?”
“What if they complain?”
These are all thoughts that immediately popped into my head after I had jumped up for joy at the initial sale. I now know that it’s nothing personal and that it’s all part of running a business.
In the long run this is only going to give me a better idea of who my audience is, what their target needs are, and how I can provide a better product to better service them.
Plus, even Apple doesn’t have a 100% customer retention rate, and I personally think their products are phenomenal. So how can I expect mine to have zero refunds? I’d be lying if I said I expected to never get a single refund. I’ll just have to learn to adapt and adjust on the way.
Here’s How I Made My First Ebook Sale
I won’t go over the in depth details as I feel that’s a post within itself, but here’s a brief overview of how I did it.
- Visitors subscribes to Mr. Perspective email newsletter.
- They receive a welcome email and then are given a download link to grab their Free eBook download.
- Their eBook download is the actual eBook that I sell, however I only give away the first chapter along with a snippet of chapter two.
- After chapter 2, the next page is full of testimonials (I got them from girls I had read it here in town), then there’s buy now buttons at very end.
- Once clicking the buy now button’s, the user is redirected to the checkout cart that I put together using Gumroad.
- Ebook sale is made!
This is just the beginning of the niche website workshop. I was honestly thinking about giving up and just throwing up some Adsense to make it easier, but making this sale while I was asleep has shown me that this is possible and certainly worth the hard work.
If you’re just starting to build your niche website and feel like quitting, my advice is to hang in there. Do your market research, validate your business idea, build your list of loyal subscribers, create that product and then sell it.
If I can do it, I certainly know that you’re capable of doing the same. Plus, if you don’t do it, you’ll regret never trying. Learn to accept failure but never accept not giving your all.
Until next time,
- Chris Altamirano
p.s. did you have any questions or comments? Feel free to share your thoughts below! Thanks!